• Marcus Rutherford is a British actor best known for his role as Perrin Aybara in the TV series “The Wheel of Time”
• He was born in Nottingham, England and studied at the Television Workshop
• He has acted in music videos, short movies, and TV series such as “Shakespeare & Hathaway: Private Investigators”, “Obey”, and “Bulletproof”
• He is 27 years old and his net worth is estimated around $500,000
• He enjoys writing, football, music, and is a fan of Arsenal
Marcus Rutherford is a British actor, possibly known best for his portrayal of Perrin Aybara in the TV series “The Wheel of Time”. Even though he’s a newcomer in the industry with only a few roles, he’s already part of a major series.
Early life, family, educational background
Marcus was born on 4 April 1995, in Nottingham, England. The actor hasn’t revealed much information about his parents – their names and occupations remain undisclosed.
In the interview with GQ Magazine, Marcus mentioned that he wanted to be a director when he was eight years old. As he grew older, he was inspired by legendary directors such as Hirokazu Koreeda and Gaspar Noé, but eventually his passion for film drove him toward acting. He took acting courses at The Television Workshop – a local acting club that previously hosted Joe Dempsey, Jack O’Connell, and Vicky McClure. As Marcus describes it, the workshop was held in an old, dirty basement, however, it didn’t matter, because the school had ‘ridiculous’ attendees.
Rutherford went to a university in London, studying a conventional field. He wasn’t pressured by his parents about the choice of his profession, yet his mindset was still focused on getting a ‘proper’ job. He changed his attitude when he heard about something that had happened in his family, which caused him to rethink his choices and start pursuing a career he was truly interested in. After graduating from the university and interning at a TV production company, he realized once again that acting was his calling. Though taking that move was scary, the actor decided that it was better to try and fail than miss the chance altogether. Consequently, he moved to London, found an agent, and started auditioning.
Before landing serious roles, Marcus appeared in music videos and short movies. In 2017, he played the role of Sadiq in the film “County Lines” which centered around the story of a 14-year-old boy who gets sent to a coastal town to sell elite drugs, encountering dangerous situations along the way. The movie was written by Henry Blake, and starred actors such as Montserrat Roig de Puig and Micah Loubon.
Lads!! 😉 https://t.co/QfjROcn1pT
— Marcus Rutherford (@Marcus_Rudda) November 15, 2021
In 2018, Rutherford portrayed Lee Sandridge in an episode of the TV series “Shakespeare & Hathaway: Private Investigators”, which is a comedy crime drama about detectives and the crime they are investigating. In 2018, the actor played the role of Leon in the award-winning movie “Obey”, portraying a 19-year-old boy who returns home from foster care to take care of an alcoholic mother, finding escape in boxing and falling in love with a girl Twiggy. The film also starred Sophie Kennedy Clark, Joshua Blisset, and Sam Gittins, and for his role, Marcus was nominated for National Film Awards for Best Actor, Best Breakthrough Performance in a Film, and Best Newcomer. During the same year, he appeared in the short movie “A Stitch in Time” written and directed by Graham Atkins-Hughes.
In 2019, he landed the breakthrough role as Perrin Aybara in the Amazon TV series “The Wheel of Time” which aired in 2021 due to the delays caused by covid19. In the interview with 1883 Magazine, the actor describes his character as an introverted and a quiet ‘gentle giant’ who is a blacksmith in the village. The series follows the story described in the book series of the same name written by prominent fantasy author Robert Jordan. It centers around a magical world in which only some are allowed to practice magic, with women holding dominant positions. It was renewed for a second season even before the release of the first season. Similarly, in July 2022, “The Wheel of Time” was renewed for the third season.
Concurrently, in 2020, Rutherford portrayed Dezzy in four episodes of the TV series “Bulletproof”, opposite Noel Clarke, Ashley Walters, and Jason Maza.
As of late 2022, Marcus appears to be single, as he hasn’t spoken about having a partner in his interviews, neither has he posted any pictures depicting a girlfriend onto his Instagram account. The information about any previous partners hasn’t been revealed either. The young actor has never been married and doesn’t have any children.
Hobbies, favorite things, and interesting facts
- Marcus believes that “The Wheel of Time” is a great series, as it features diverse characters portrayed as equals. He believes that it shows people of color in a positive light, allowing small kids to see people who look like them on TV and resonate with characters;
- During the first wave of Covid19 pandemic, the actor went back to Nottingham to stay with his parents. During the second lockdown, he returned to London and stayed there before the restrictions were lifted;
- Before becoming an actor, Marcus had multiple minimum-wage jobs: he worked at bars and was a barista;
- What he loves the most about acting is the ever-changing environment. He travels frequently to film various scenes in “The Wheel of Time”. He also has to unravel the layers of his characters, which he finds exciting;
- Rutherford loves writing, but is discouraged from pursuing it seriously, as he thinks that other people are doing something similar.
- He also loves football and is a fan of Arsenal.
- The actor enjoys listening to music but he hasn’t specified his favorite genre;
- In the interview with A Book of Us, he was asked, if he’d been a book, what it would have been. He answered that he’d be a play written by Roy Williams who is also from Nottingham; Marcus considers his plays modern and well-written;
- He isn’t particularly popular on social media. He has almost 25,000 followers on Instagram and over 10,000 followers on Twitter.
Appearance, clothing style
Marcus Rutherford is 27 years old. He has brown eyes, short black hair and a beard and mustache from time to time. He’s 6ft 2ins (188cm) in height and weighs approximately 185lbs (85kgs). He usually wears casual clothes, such as t-shirts, shorts, and hoodies. While attending red-carpet events, he sports blazers and classic trousers. He doesn’t seem to wear a lot of accessories.
Net worth and salary
As of late 2022, Marcus Rutherford’s net worth is estimated close to $500,000, most of which he has accumulated through his acting career. As a newcomer in the industry, he doesn’t earn as much as other prominent actors. He hasn’t disclosed how much he earns annually, and doesn’t seem to own any real estate properties.